18 FIRERESCUE MAGAZINE OCTOBER 2017 FIREFIGHTERNATION.COM
do it quicker was another task this new unit could
The unit is equipped with Paratech jacks, shoring
equipment, rigging equipment, air compressor, struts,
The unit will respond with personnel assigned to
the heavy rescue that is centrally located in the county
for easy and quick response.
Once again, a fire department that had a special
need for a specialized piece of fire apparatus that
would fulfill multiple missions around the county
it operates in created a vehicle that exactly meets its
requirements. From major truck and auto accidents
to farm animal rescue, MDFR took its time writing
the specs with the manufacturer to meet its everyday
You might not be able to get what you want right
away when it comes to apparatus purchasing because
of delayed funding, but planning ahead and seeing
what might happen down the line are good ways to
start the process.
Bob Vaccaro has more than 40 years of fire service experience. He
is a former chief of the Deer Park (NY) Fire Department. Vaccaro
has also worked for the Insurance Services Office, the New York Fire
Patrol, and several major commercial insurance companies as a
senior loss-control consultant. He is a life member of the IAFC.
The rear of the vehicle
with boom retracted.
Chassis: 2017 KW T880 chassis.
• 600-hp Cummins ISX Motor (EV).
• Allison 4500 Series Automatic Transmission (EV).
• Simard twin steer from axles 20,000 each.
• 52,000 rear axle.
• Two-tone cab paint.
Heavy-duty 50/60 ton rotator: 52-inch CT JFB
body with standard equipment to include:
• Three-piece wrecker boom.
• Two-piece outriggers.
• Hydraulic oil cooler headboard.
• Headboard marker lights amber—pair.
• In-body lights and wiring.
• Under-body lights and wiring.
• Two 72-inch Whelen NFPA LED light bars.
• Two 22-inch Whelen NFPA LED wing lights.
• Whelen Pioneer LED wrecker boom light.
• Hella lower hookup lights.
• Hella underlet work lights.
• Hella upper hookup lights.
• Hella upper work lights.
• Hella outrigger area lights.
• House lock.
• Seven-way trailer plug.
• Glad hands at tailboard.
• Tailboard dress-up plates.
• Fifth wheel attachment.
• Pintle hook with two-inch ball attachment.
• Pintle hook with 50mm ball attachment.
• D-rings located at tailboard.
• Factory installation.
• Backup camera (camera located on spade
housing w/ in-cab monitor).
• Plastic/composite outrigger pads 30-inch square
(set of six).
• NFPA-compliant zone emergency lighting.
• Chevrons on rear of unit.
• Chevrons on sides of outriggers.
• Rotor-Ray on front of unit.
• Steel front bumper with chevrons.
• Federal “Q” on front of unit recessed
into the bumper.
• Flashing lights at end of outriggers.
• Bostrom seats in cab (black).
• Tire pressure monitoring system.
• Kussmaul battery/air charger with auto eject.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Heavy Rescue Truck Specs